TO

VINTAGE FAITH FINDS MUSINGS KITCHEN PRETTIES CREATIONS

Friday 3 October 2014

YOURS TILL NIAGRA FALLS.......



If you are of a certain vintage, you will recall the days of autograph books. I had forgotten all about them till I discovered one in a thrift store. For you youngsters, every girl had one and took it to school and had her friends write witty little poems in them. 


This one is from the 1800's





This style was from the fifties



Or maybe you had one like this



See how many of these you remember.


By hook or by crook
I'll be last in your book.


Barbara had a cat
It swallowed a ball of yarn.
And when the cat got kittens,
They all had sweaters on.


Latin is a language
As dead as dead can be.
It killed the ancient Romans,
And now it's killing me.


Don't make love at the garden gate
Love is blind but the neighbours ain't.


A kiss is a germ
Or so it's been stated.
But kiss me quick,
I'm vaccinated.


If there was a boy's camp
Across the sea,
What a good swimmer
Sandy would be.


When you are married
And have a pair of twins
Don't come to me
For safety pins.


OUQT
INVU


If you want a taste
Of heaven's joys
Think more of the Lord
And less of the boys.


There are tulips in the garden
There are tulips in the park
Best best of all tulips
Are the two lips that meet in the dark


Yours til Niagra Falls


Yours til soda pops.


Yours til butter flies


Yours til the U.S. drinks Canada Dry



Your teeth are like the stars, he said
And pressed her hand so white.
He spoke the truth for like the stars
Her teeth came out at night,


Yours til the mountains peak and see the salad dressing


Though your tasks are many
And your rewards are few
Remember that the mighty oak
Was once a nut like you.


If I were a head of lettuce
I'd cut myself in two.
I'd give the leaves to all my friends
And save the heart for you.


Yours til France takes Turkey and dips it in Greece and feeds it to the Hungary USA


Mary had a little lamb
Her father shot it dead
Now Mary carries that lamb to school
Between two hunks of bread.


Grandma has a habit
Of chewing in her sleep
She chews on Grandpa's whiskers
And thinks it's shedded wheat.


In the breadbox of your affections, consider me a crumb.


Twas in a restaurant they first met
Romeo and Juliet
Twas there that he got into debt
Cause Rom-e-owed what Jule-et.


It was midnight on the back porch
Two lips wee tightly pressed
The old man gave the signal
And the bulldog did the rest.





My favourite of all time is one my Dad wrote for me. He of course knew none of the little rhymes, so wrote his own:

Marianne is a pretty little girl
Her hair is the colour of a squirrel.

I carried that page in my wallet for years.

 I wish I still had it.




2 comments:

  1. Here's one that was written in my mom's childhood autograph book (she is 86 now, so it's an old rhyme):
    A rose, a thorn, a smile, a tear.
    Whatever comes, 'tis life my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WILL HAVE TO TRY AND FIND MINE FROM MY CHILDHOOD. I KNOW THAT I STILL HAVE IT. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

    ReplyDelete