TO

VINTAGE FAITH FINDS MUSINGS KITCHEN PRETTIES CREATIONS

Friday 12 September 2014

measuring up




Someone recently said to me, "You know, you're smart. You could have been successful."

I eloquently responded, "wha-a-a-a-a????????

Someone: "Well you know. You could have been an executive or something, been really successful."

Me: (mouth agape, eyes bulging) "I was successful."

Someone: I mean you could have been really successful....made a lot of money."

Me: " I was.........I am successful.


 I'm a good Mom, Grammy, friend, neighbour.


 I use the gifts I've been given to help others, to bring joy.


 I was able to make a living doing things that were my passion.
.
 I  provided for the needs of my family.


 I have had many opportunities to serve others.


 I have loved unlovable people.


 I have picked myself up and moved on from hard places.


I have triumphed in the midst of storms.


I have come to know myself and be content.


I have peace in my heart,


 joy in my soul,

 sense of purpose,


 love,

 mercy

 and forgiveness from my heavenly father

 and assurance of my eternal future.



Now I ask you, What part of any of that has to do with money?


SHEESH!!!!

How do you measure up? Do you gauge yourself by the expectations of demanding parents, an unreasonable boss, a superwoman girlfriend, a fashion magazine? 

We all have to live our lives among people and perform to the best of our ability. But if that means always living your life in a way to please others,or selling your soul to get that promotion or working to the neglect of those you love to earn the big bucks, or staying in a job that robs your very spirit than I say.....no matter how successful you look on the outside,
 you're really not.

Being successful means fulfilling the unique task of becoming the best one and only you you can be. Who knows what that looks like better than you?

Who will be you if you don't take it seriously? 

The world will be robbed.


I like the scripture's definition of success in God's eyes....


to act justly,

 love mercy

 and walk humbly with your God.



Now that's what I'm talking about.



2 comments:

  1. Jude (the little sis)13 September 2014 at 05:48

    Double "Sheesh!!" I feel like I'm the most successful person on earth and I'm very different from this beloved sister. Thank God he has a different definition of success for each of us, or the world would be quite monotonous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true Jude. But I also know you are successful in every way I have listed above.... the heart things.

      Delete