TO

VINTAGE FAITH FINDS MUSINGS KITCHEN PRETTIES CREATIONS

Tuesday 9 September 2014

THINGS THAT MAKE ME SWOON.......


There are special things that pull at our heartstrings. We prize them not so much for their value but for the thought, the emotion, the sentiment, the giver and the way we feel when we lay our eyes upon them (I've never actually seen anybody lay down their eyes on something and not sure I could stomach that but I think you know what I mean.)

These are some of my faves:


This tiny cup and saucer has double meaning for me. It first captured my heart some 57 years ago when it was gifted to me by my dad. I don't remember ever receiving a gift apart from a birthday or Christmas, but this time Dad had been away for work in Niagara Falls and he brought this home to me. Actually, I lie. It wasn't this one but one very similar with a Niagara Falls logo on it. I adored it
mostly because he gave it to me and because I know that he knew I would fall in love with the little bird handle.

Dad passed away suddenly a couple of years later and the little cup and saucer became even more precious. One day, many years after, I broke it, and that broke my heart. It seemed such a betrayal and I mourned its loss.

Many, many years later, my dear friend and business partner at the TeaRoom, Carol and I were lined up early, early one cold fall morning at a collectible sale at a thrift store. While we wiled away the hours waiting for the sale to begin, we viewed the articles in the window and chose our favourites, hoping they would still be there when it was our turn to enter. I espied the little cup and saucer pictured above and I jumped up and down with excitement. When our numbers were called we ran into the store. I headed straight for my treasure, but it was already gone. I found other things to buy but somehow the allure was no longer there. 
Later we met back in the car and I expressed my sadness at not securing the little duplicate. It was then that Carol handed me a little parcel. I wondered..what in the world? Well you guessed it.... She had bought it for me!

Now you know why I love it. It has little monetary value but it is a symbol of love....twice over. Don't you just adore this story???


Chenille. I love the colours and designs and the cosiness, but I probably love it most because it evokes a memory.......yep, that big iron bed sported one. Oh for those simple, carefree days!!!

 

A September bouquet from my garden.....rose, hydrangea, sweet pea, geranium, chive blossom, bluebells, begonia in a precious vintage vase.





My dining table set for no reason. These dishes are part of a vintage set I recently aquired for $35.00!!






A glimpse into my sewing corner.






My Kitchen Aid mixer. I have had one for over 35 years and use it most days several times. This red one is extra special because it was gifted to me by the sweet ladies of Sunshine Ridge Baptist Church on the occassion of my wedding four years ago. LOVE THE RED!!!



Tomato ware. All thrift store purchased! Doesn't it make you smile?



My cherry apron. I love anything cherries! This strapless, boned beauty was a gift from my daughter-in-law, Christy. Ooh-la-lah!



A red and white quilt....my first defense against winter.



A corner in my garden. Love the new turquoise spray paint job.




An old bike in my front yard....... only $5.00 and it's red!!


Aqua mason jars/vases lined up on the sill.


Little chairs




More little chairs




Dollclothes on the line. Sorry....finding it hard to grow up!


This liitle bag held a gift from my friend Susan. It blessed and humbled me. I truly want to be that person.




This is the perfect example of a thoughtful gift. When we bought the little vintage trailer, my main squeeze brought home this little glitzy, red (of course) key chain for my keys to the trailer. It was better than flowers!



My tin toy kitchen appliances. Just what every big girl needs!!!



Well, that's a start. There are so many things I love that I
 may have to do a swoon #2.

Question: Do you think I am crazy??????

No comments:

Post a Comment